Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Unfair advantage by uneven distribution of countries normal?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:51 am 
Conscript

From my experience with MAN the location of the countries is usually fairly equal for both opponents. However at the moment I am loosing a game to somebody on Antarcticus whose countries are linked (as in have a common border) while mine are all separated by at least one country. That coupled with the first turn (my opponent is PL) gives a very unfair advantage to my opponent. I'm just curious how often does that happen? Is it normal?

Last edited by azzzy on Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:02 pm 
Sea Wolf

Well, for that you'd need to work out a probability formula for all the possible combinations of you having territories spaced on apart, with your opponent having theirs together...

Position matters, but it's rare that it makes it a forgone conclusion. The larger the map the less likely it is to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:29 pm 
Conscript

Well, it's Antarcticus, which is fairly small. I was under impression that the game was designed to give relatively equal chances to the opponents. But when each of the two countries my opponent's got have common borders, and mine are all separated, that makes it virtually impossible to put up any kind of resistance. This has never happened to me before. I didn't think the country distribution was random.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:16 pm 
Developer

You may suffer from such a "dishonest" country distribution only in several games. But the more games you play the more the distribution approaches to being "honest". It's math.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:04 am 
Sea Wolf

azzzy wrote:
Well, it's Antarcticus, which is fairly small. I was under impression that the game was designed to give relatively equal chances to the opponents. But when each of the two countries my opponent's got have common borders, and mine are all separated, that makes it virtually impossible to put up any kind of resistance. This has never happened to me before. I didn't think the country distribution was random.

It's entirely random.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:10 am 
Sea Wolf

might b an idea for a future upgrade to the game where if ur 1st 3 countries aren't touching then it picks the 4th 1 from only countries tath border at elast 1 of urs, so taht u always get at least 2 touching countries.

That or after it picks 4 random cuntries it cehcks that at least 2 are touching else it just restarts the game until it gets 2 tahta re touching for both teams.

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:51 am 
Enforcer wrote:
might b an idea for a future upgrade to the game where if ur 1st 3 countries aren't touching then it picks the 4th 1 from only countries tath border at elast 1 of urs, so taht u always get at least 2 touching countries.

That or after it picks 4 random cuntries it cehcks that at least 2 are touching else it just restarts the game until it gets 2 tahta re touching for both teams.

Got Spellcheck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:41 am 
Sea Wolf

u must be bored to drag up an inactive top for spotting typos ;)

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/