Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nice but doesn't reach M.A.X. - why not copy it?!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:55 am 
Levy

Had a look at the game, it's nice and sometimes reminds of M.A.X, Mechanized Assault and Exploitation.

But it doesn't reach that old, DOS based game. M.A.X. hat wonderful graphics despite being 2D and DOS, by research technology could be upgraded and it employed a line-of-sight in addition to the line-of-fire for each unit.

Why don't you have a look at that old game and copy it with the Massive Assault engine? The Retrace/Undo function would have to be modified, otherwise it shouldn't be difficult. I'd buy the product without thinking. The only 2 reasons I don't play M.A.X. any more is that it won't run on Windows 2000 & co, and that there is no map editor.

Massive Assault isn't enough for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:39 pm 
Levy

One thing more: My computer has 2ghz, but still he thinks quite long for his move. Too long, much too long for my taste. It was faster with M.A.X., with a much slower PC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:17 pm 
Sea Wolf

yeah the new patch should fix it. Mine takes a while on large maps with an AXP 3000+ 512 mb pc 3200,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:36 am 
Levy

Really? I can't check because I had only borrowed the game. If response time gets better I might have a second look at it.

But I still yearn for M.A.X. ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:53 pm 
Sea Wolf

sky keeper should know. maybe he could tell us when it will be realeased to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:37 am 
Conscript

Hi bomk :)

just a question:

I also would like to buy MA, but I have no Idea, about this game.
Shure, I know the whole bunch of turnbased strategie games.
But I get no MA Demo and no ingame video, witch realy (!) shows me
the "click and action"-Part of the game. The videos for download on this page are nice,
but they show only the graphic :(

After I read your postig, I buy imideately M.A.X. (for 2$ *g*).
And it is realy great!

Here is now my question: Is MA more like the turnbased or the
sumultaneus mode in M.A.X. ? It would helped me a lot :)

Greetings
Ronn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:41 am 
Levy

Massive Assault is strictly turnbased...you move and fire all your your units, click end turn, then the AI will do the same.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:57 pm 
Conscript

>Massive Assault is strictly turnbased..<

I know :)
I am a fan of TB games like PG, TOAW since many years...

My problem:
The videos on this page shows NO turns (??).
But what show me the viodeos? A cut of many turns in one scene?
Or what elese? I see the video but not the game !!

Therefor my question was, what KIND of TB it is:
1) You must first move ALL your units then push TURN und you get the action and the nice graphicscene like the video shows ...

2) Or you move ONE unit and get IMEDIATELY the action (example: the hostille tank fires back) ...

That was my question :)

The point is:
I own over 300 games. All kind of war-, strategy- and RPG-games.
I am playing games since 1979 (TRS80, Radio-Shake, VC20, C64 ...)
But never (NEVER) I bougt a game, if I do not understand the concept.

On this page I see the videos! They name it "ingame-video". Sorry a ingame video is a video who shows me the gameplay (click, click action, click, click ...). If I get no demo, in need this to understand, whats going on. I absolutely do NOT understand the way from my CLICKS to the pantastic scenes in the videos.

The units in the videos are fighting without orders!! Because it's TB!
I see no one, who is giving one singel order!?? How can I name such a video a "ingame" video? Thats a promo-video, not more!

I will buy this game imediately if I understand, what is exactly going on in - say - 15 minutes of REAL gemeplay ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:02 pm 
Developer

Hi, Ronn.

This is strictly turn-based game.
During your turn, you click-and-move all your units one by one. As soon as you click on the first unit and point its destination - it immediately goes there. The same for firing. It's pretty much like in Panzer General.
Of course, there are some economics phases also, when you deploy units, disclose your Secret Allies, Guerrillas, etc.

However, the 3D engine allows moe "fancy" visualization of the units movements: For example, if you click-and-point over a couple of units fast enough (i.e. while you are clicking on the fifth tank, the first one has not yet moved its full distance), it will be a visual impression that all these 5 tanks are moving simultaneously. In the same manner you can launch 4 Bombers from a Carrier one by one, but if you do it fast enough, it will look like they bomb almost simultaneously... But people admit it looks nice, in fact.

So, I hope you've got the idea of how Massive Assault plays.

In fact, one of the most thrilling part of MA is its Online play mode. The reviewers have admitted that the A.I. is real killr, but fighting vs live people is much more exciting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:02 pm 
Sea Wolf

AI is smart. but humans are always going to be more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:50 pm 
Levy

hi Ronn,

you might like it if you like M.A.X., notwithstanding that the latter is better ;-)

The concept of MA is somewhat unusual, essentially for 2 points. In a larger map, each player gets 2 countries, and each additional turn one more country for each player is "discovered" (? what was the wording). So your enemy might appear right besides your country and your buildup ends up being unfavorably directed. Secondly, units get produced immediately in a ountry producing revenue and you can place your unit on anywhere in that country. Once sb has invaded, revenue won't be produced any more.

Both points, I admit, were disconcerting for me. But they are unusual and intriguing, and once one has adapted, they very well might compose the special appeal of the game.

I'd need to play for some days to grasp this stuff, unfortunately I don't want to spend that time right now. What I like in M.A.X. is its being more straightforward - some ppl might as well dislike that -, and the much broader possibilities you have in terms of different weapons.

I guess if you like M.A.X., you will also like MA. Turn based, no coincidence and with an undo system (which would be difficult to implement with line of sight).

I do hope that the promised patch really fixes calculation speed. As said, on a 2ghz system I don't want to play it. Much too slow. Otherwise I'd say, go ahead and give it a try.

Ah yes, and if there's a WinXP version of M.A.X., even if it is just a 1:1 copy of the old game, I'll have it installed and will be playing it ten minutes after release. Seriously ;-)

Post subject: MA is no competition of M.A.X. or BattleIsle 4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:48 am 
Itґs my opinion that the MA Grafik-Engine is great, but the Game itself isnґt reaching the Gamedepth at anyway, i play it like a tactical shooter...fire and forget, Hit and Run or wait and let them come...

Maybe the Gameplay in MP is greater, but for a real MP there are too many features absent for me...and it isnґt to bear comparison with MAX in anyway.

In this Place, if there is anybody here who could tell me, how i could run MAX under WinXP without any Soundprobs and tell me about a Patch for the "Multiplayer-Round150-Prob", i deinstall MA at same time :roll:

In this time i play Incubation, MA is just a timewaster for me, sorry :oops:

Greetz, Ipu

Post subject: Re: MA is no competition of M.A.X. or BattleIsle 4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:03 am 
Developer

Ipu wrote:
Itґs my opinion that the MA Grafik-Engine is great, but the Game itself isnґt reaching the Gamedepth at anyway, i play it like a tactical shooter...fire and forget, Hit and Run or wait and let them come...

Maybe the Gameplay in MP is greater, but for a real MP there are too many features absent for me...and it isnґt to bear comparison with MAX in anyway.
y/quote]

Well, Ipu:

You are saying that MA is "Hit and Run" style or "tactical shooter" .... easy, not deep enough, etc...

... well ... maybe... :D

However, I think that it makes sense to propose you to challenge the following people for the online battle (or at least some of them) on any planet(s) of your choice:

Victor (me)
Vadim
Tiger
Sky Keeper
Alex
AI
Sir Markus

If it were a "Tactical Shooter", you would get 50/50 chances of winning by just "hitting and running". But something tells me that it will be challenging enough for your to win at least a single battle against any of these players.

Wanna bet?
If by 31st of December you win at least one battle against the above mentioned players, I will personally publically admitt in this forum that MA is a "Tactical Shooter".

This competition will allow you to feel the spirt of Massive Assault and maybe will slightly shift your opinion.

Do you have the Online Activation Code?
If by some technical reason you don't have it, please email me at: vk@wargaming.net and I will get you one).

So, what would you say, Ipu?
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:09 pm 
Developer

Ronn wrote:

just a question:

I also would like to buy MA, but I have no Idea, about this game.
Shure, I know the whole bunch of turnbased strategie games.
But I get no MA Demo and no ingame video, witch realy (!) shows me
the "click and action"-Part of the game. The videos for download on this page are nice,
but they show only the graphic :(

To Ron and everybody else feeling like watching the ingame video with REAL mechanics - we've just put up one such "explicit" video.
The official announcement states:

Wargaming.net is pleased to present Massive Assault's GamePlay Footage Video.

This video presentation demonstrates the game’s turn-by-turn mechanics. It features a sample scenario and the beginning of World War game explaining basic tactical and strategic concepts. The footage includes narrator’s voice-over.

This sort of video was "intensively" required by many people, including in this forum. Unlike the previous videos (which demonstrated the game's engine mostly), this Footage gives a clear picture of how the gaming process is taking place.

Those of you, who are already playing the game may send the link to your friends, so that they can see how the game's turn-based concept is linked with dynamic RTS-style visuals.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:33 pm 
Ipu wrote:

y/quote]

Vic wrote:
Well, Ipu:

You are saying that MA is "Hit and Run" style or "tactical shooter" .... easy, not deep enough, etc...

However, I think that it makes sense to propose you to challenge the following people for the online battle (or at least some of them) on any planet(s) of your choice:

Victor (me)
Vadim
Tiger
Sky Keeper
Alex
AI
Sir Markus

If it were a "Tactical Shooter", you would get 50/50 chances of winning by just "hitting and running". But something tells me that it will be challenging enough for your to win at least a single battle against any of these players.

Wanna bet?
If by 31st of December you win at least one battle against the above mentioned players, I will personally publically admitt in this forum that MA is a "Tactical Shooter".

This competition will allow you to feel the spirt of Massive Assault and maybe will slightly shift your opinion.

If by some technical reason you don't have it, please email me at: vk@wargaming.net and I will get you one).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:05 pm 
Ipu wrote:

y/quote]

Vic wrote:
Well, Ipu:

Victor (me)
Vadim
Tiger
Sky Keeper
Alex
AI
Sir Markus

Wanna bet?

Hi,

Nice try, Vic ;-) :wink:

I have deinstalled and selled (...more gave away than selled :-? ) it because it wasnґt a game right for me (for any other maybe, but not for me...).

Iґve tried to play the campaign but in my eyes the AI is to cheap, this is overbalanced only with the ressources it gets every round...and this is much more than player is getting (under pressure, 2x3$ to 2$ by 11 point of contact i guess). Means that player have to kill 6 enemy units (3 on both sides) at min. to give the enemy no chance to grow up with mortar or LRMs. This is a tactical quest i havenґt resolved, and i donґt want to play like McGiver (take an aerostat and a bootlace and fight the complete US.Force, but without wounding anybody...)

My english isnґt very well at all, because i donґt know the right words for it, but for me a strategic game have to be balanced. Maybe in Multiplayer MA is balanced, but in Scenario btw. Campain-Mode it isnґt at all.
But maybe iґm just to sheepish for this kind of gametype, but anyway i donґt think so...
So we should rather play a few games of Chess (there are same potentialities for both) and then we could see :)

O.K., iґm wishing everybody great fun with this Game,
a white Christmas, a happy new Year and good luck,

Ipu

Post subject: As usual
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:24 pm 
IT seems Ipu not understood even a half of what we were telling to him (and i suppose he not read other topics on forum).I think there is no use in answering hi anymore.

Post subject: maybe...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:32 am 
Maybe youґre right, dear Guest :P
But maybe it seems to be otherwise...but theres no need to answer my post in anyway (...or thing about it without any "my-thoughts-are-the-only-right-thoughts" statements...) because iґve sold the game...

But just at least my thoughts: Vic have (just alone...) tried to convinced me about this Game (Our opinions differ on that, but he was friendly and argued, thx for this :D ), but theese posts like "Heґs stupid because he want to play not online, let him go..." are qualitatively a hint of their strategic thoughts. But just in my eyes maybe.

Nobody have to agree with me about this Game, but just listen, think and then answer plz. Many of the reasons told me by a few other here in Forum seems to be right for the type of Gameplay and for multiplaying it (for me "multi" means more than 2 too, but anyway...), but this altered nothing on the wishes and expectations iґve had as i read the great previews. The meanings, arguments & hints for this game here in the Forum are most instructive in spite of different sentences and understandings, excepting just theese "heґs to daft"-posts.

And at last...have iґm not the ability to understand what your are trying to say, or do you say just the same in a incomprehensible way...?? :roll:

So long, iґve told, the game is sold and i have no reason to look in this forum further just to look who have won the battle of words...

Itґs a pity, but by these way,
Greetings from Germany (German Website isnґt working till now :o ),
Ipu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:58 am 
P.L. Marshal

Actually the guest was me (i was lazy lo login last time)
I answered you Ipu in other topic which you created (and spammed with your meaningless ramblings) here
http://massiveassault.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236
since you not read\understood that what the point in talking with you
your phrases like
"no ability to get on other isles"
"there isnґt shown the reaching of weapons"
show that you have not seen game at all - just started a tutorial and maybe a pair of little scenarios.(which not feature transports and naval operatiions)

Trying to compare MA with Incubation you again show that you arent even able to understand difference between game genres - pure wargame is in no way supposed to look like squad-based tactical simulator.
and again - stop yelling at poor AI :D it is for training purposes only and it's only goal is slowly losing to casual player.btw do you think other turn-based games feature such a super-AI which is able to beat the experienced player?
and btw there are multiplayer online strategies which do not have single-player mode at all - just head-to-head with other player.So ihave no ide why the heck you trying to judge the online game by single-player mode only.If you spent some money to purchase the game - why not try fighting other player just one time.May be you had pirated copy?

Post subject: have to answer last time at all i think ;-)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:59 pm 
Ohhh Macrobes,

take just a look at http://www.gmxmedia.net/massiveassault/
there the game is praised with all features i had missed...and with all features that had misguided me to buy it

Maybe i have in future really to take a pirated game first to take a real look at it... :evil:

Thatґs why iґm disappointed about it, if i had owned a pirated copy i do not care a button about it...just deinstall and ready for the next one.
But iґd paid a lot of money for a game that isnґt like it shall be...

And, maybe after thinking a little bit longer than 1 sec. about it, youґll understand that some gamers just want to become what they had paid...online or not...

Iґm playing M.A.X., WZ2100, BI3 & BI4 and Incubation in LAN btw. PBM (theres no ability for MA...) and some online, but i havenґt to do so if itґs not necessary, just recommended...

Live in your own world without any other thinking people...

Ipu