Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Massive Assault on a PDA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:19 pm 
Sea Wolf

A friend of mine just had an absolutely brilliant idea for the developers. Have you guys considered porting Massive Assault to the embedded market? This game is just perfect for that approach! MA is straightforward and simple in interface, it has a small footprint, and the connection speed requirements are minimal.

Sure, the 3d graphics would have to be toned down, but it could still look good and have the same exact game rules, which are what make this game shine. Scenarios, campaigns, and maps could easily fit in the smaller memory storage, though the AI would either have to be incredibly optomized, or dumbed down to work with the slower processors.

What would be really cool is if the online capabilities were fully compatible with the PC version. If so, you could go on the server and download your turns either on your home PC or your portable device. With the PDA, you could take your turns anywhere... on the road, during a work break, even when visiting the bathroom. Wireless connections would make it even better!

Now is the perfect time for this as well ... the demand for these games has risen dramatically, and the tools out t here would make it a fairly easy port. There are even 3d engines available for advanced gaming PDAs like Tapwave's Zodiac. And the market isn't entirely flooded yet, so people would likely take a longer look at this game. Not too many turn based strategies on handhelds, especially not this well done. Remember how Advanced Wars did? It did really well, and is still a favorite of many. Massive Assault is by far a better game, and I believe it could take the market by storm.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Last edited by Maelstrom on Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:38 pm 
Sea Wolf

No comments at all? I guess the silence means that people think this is a dumb idea :D. Or maybe people just fall asleep reading my habitually long posts...

NWO website:

Clan War website:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:40 am 
Developer

Greetings Maelstrom!

While the idea of porting Massive Assault on PDA seems to look attractive and full of great possibilities for Wargaming.Net, I'm not sure that the game would be possible to get ported with all those 3d-graphics and effects.

It's likely to become hex-based with sprites instead of all those units we have now in 3D. But it's still interesting idea and I think if it would get possible to get both PAD and PC turns compatible and recognizable for each platform it should be doing pretty well then.

Anyway, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Cheers,
Nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:23 pm 
Sea Wolf

Nick_WN wrote:
But it's still interesting idea and I think if it would get possible to get both PAD and PC turns compatible and recognizable for each platform it should be doing pretty well then.

Exactly! I don't think I've heard this done for any game, has anyone else? With Massive Assault its entirely possible. And I think that it would get a lot of positive attention for doing such an unusual thing. And unlike most other games that are very specific to either handhelds or PC, Massive Assault could easily have well done incarnations on both.

Of course, we'd be missing the beautiful 3d feel of the game, but its the gameplay that keeps me coming back for more. It doesn't need its 3d graphics to draw people in, since the gameplay is so polished and balanced.

You guys have really created quite the gem here with this game. What this game does it bring turn based strategies to the common person. If only more people had easy access, I think this game would really take off.

NWO website:

Clan War website:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:17 pm 
Sea Wolf

I was thinking of a pda version too! of course graphics would takea bgi hit and it would be mainly for online turn sending.

maybe a cell phone one?

(ati was showing off some chipe at CES that can plaay quake on a cell phone)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:09 am 
Developer

Firstly we have to market Massive Assault for PCs... Unfortunately we have no resources to market it for any other platforms until we succeed on PC market.

It would be great for the future of Massive Assault (and for the possibility of releasing PDA version) if everybody enjoying Massive Assault would help us a bit. Massive Assault lacks word of mouth and the game has not been publicly discussed on other game forums. We encourage you to spread a word and welcome other gamers to our community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:31 am 
pocket wars runs on pc and pda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:43 am 
Maybe if MA could go to other systems...