Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: is PBEM a possible option for multiplayer?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:49 pm 
Developer

POSTED BY: bostonrpgmania (Matrix Forum Member)

Hi
Is PBEM a possible option for multiplayer?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:49 pm 
Developer

Massive Assault's multiplayer works PBEM-style, but without the necessity to actually attach those files to email.

You can make your turns offline, taking your time.
Only short periods of internet connection (4-6 seconds) are needed to send out all your turns and receive all new turns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:51 pm 
Developer

Hi
Thank you very much for the reply
I had a problem with auto mailer setup of Korsun Pocket so I used conventional method to send the email. I guess I can still do this in MA.

My question was that I read a review article (or post here or ebgames website?) saying that multiplay works through cental server. I wondered that whether two players should be connected at the same time to enjoy the multiplayer or whether it works in a very conventional PBEM style

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:53 pm 
Developer

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostonrpgmania:

Hi
Thank you very much for the reply
I had a problem with auto mailer setup of Korsun Pocket so I used conventional method to send the email. I guess I can still do this in MA.

Yes. MA feels and plays like PBEM, except for the fact that there is no emailing program involved, but the game itself connects to the server via TCP/IP and does all the data transfer/verification work done.

In fact, if you feel like playing online, please, challenge "Victor" :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:54 pm 
Developer

Hi
Thank you very much. Just one more clarifying question.
So multiplayer works like warcraft then?
MA has its own servers and we can play with each other by visiting the chat room? To play the game do we need to coordinate the play time so that two of us are sitting in front of computers while waiting other guy's turn finishes? or I sent my result thourgh the progam and then may be next morning when I run the program there will be a saved game sent from my opponent?
The thing is that I am now in Canada and if there is not much to play at my convenient time (my night time might be a day time for some), I would prefer conventional PBEM.
Please let me know
Thank you again for your time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:55 pm 
Developer

Hi
Victor
I maybe an absolute newbie for the game
Usually I didnt play turn based until I was hooked recently by Korun Pocket.
do you mind teaching rather than playing :D ?

PS) Based on the review, this game seems to be a freshair. But I am somewhat concerned about the lack of activity in this forum
Usually when I buy a game such as MA , I first check whether the board is active. When active and a lot of activity going on I dont hesitate to buy since sometimes board activity is more fun than playing games. What I noticed generally from Matrix board is that for initial interest to go up for a game that is released without much fanfare, usually developers post a lot of inforamtion about the game and talk about the game. This will make new post everyday and gamers who visit matrix forum got interested what is going on at the board (that was how I ended up buying EYSA and Titans of Steel and UV).
They will visit, post a message or two and then activity really goes up alot
I hope this happens to this game as well

I really hope the fresh air game to succeed and I hope this game fares well since otherwise we will end up having clones after clones
thank you!

Last edited by Vic on Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:57 pm 
Developer

Quote:
Hi
Thank you very much. Just one more clarifying question.
So multiplayer works like warcraft then?

The similarity with Warcraft is the follwoing:
There is a DEDICATED server working 24/7 and well supported. It stores the data about all the players, their profiles, all the games, ranking data, etc. Soon it will be also hosting the tournaments.

Plus, the game connects to this server automatically (without the necessity to attach turn to emails, etc. - you just press your button and the program makes all data transfers by itself withing a couple of seconds.

Quote:

MA has its own servers and we can play with each other by visiting the chat room? To play the game do we need to coordinate the play time so that two of us are sitting in front of computers while waiting other guy's turn finishes?

No. you do not need to coordinate your playing time. You just send your turn to the server, and your opponent receives it only when he/she decides to check for new turns. Thus you can play with New Zealanders or Russians.

Quote:

or I sent my result thourgh the progam and then may be next morning when I run the program there will be a saved game sent from my opponent?

That's right.

Quote:

The thing is that I am now in Canada and if there is not much to play at my convenient time (my night time might be a day time for some), I would prefer conventional PBEM.
Please let me know
Thank you again for your time

Massive Assault will give you absolute PBEM feel and spirit, allowing to run dozens of battles against dozens of opponents simultaneously palying only at your convenient time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:58 pm 
Developer

Thank you very much
Add one more player here Korean who now lives in Canada
After my work, I will run to Compusmart (this store is carrying Matrix games such as UV, Korsun Pocket and MA, EYSA) to buy a copy
I will play couple of days and then will ask you a challenge (urrrhhhh ...cough to be frank, tutoring :D !!)

I hope the activity of this forum goes up a lot!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:00 pm 
Developer

Quote:

Thank you very much
Add one more player here Korean who now lives in Canada
After my work, I will run to Compusmart (this store is carrying Matrix games such as UV, Korsun Pocket and MA, EYSA) to buy a copy
I will play couple of days and then will ask you a challenge (urrrhhhh ...cough to be frank, tutoring :D !!)

Well, people say that A.I. is quite tough in scenarios and Campaigns (and even in the deathmatches) - so you'll have a lot of fun in singleplayer also