Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: bad gun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:11 am 
Tough Nut

Hiya,

So I bought this game, and I love it. Just about the perfect turn based SF strategy game as far as I'm concerned.

But what's up with this: I'm playing the first campaign, the ice world one, and I'm about three missions into it, the one where I've got to save the country sandwhiched between two enemy countries. Okay.

So their guard tower shoots RIGHT THROUGH the mountain on the first turn. That is one bad gun! I kinda think this is a bug, or if not, it should be. Anyone else notice this?

But anyway, I'm having a blast (literally). HOpe to get good enough to try this one online. But guard towers shouldn't shoot through mountains!

:D madjoseph :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:13 am 
Developer

Well, They shouldn't but they do :)

They shoot 4 spaces away regardless of terrain considerations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:14 am 
Tough Nut

Well, can you fix that? Otherwise, what is this terrain for? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:31 pm 
Developer

But the game rules say that it can fire 4 hexes away - it won't be fixed.

The terrain is for movement and eye-candie.

Do you really want to examine the map yourselt and thinking like this:

Ok, I can buy it here. Wait! Here is a tree, maybe it will block my line of fire. Or maybe it won't...There is an enemy unit there will I be able to target him? Will I be able to taget him if it will be blocked by my Tank?

An so on...

This type of realism adds only extra MicroManagement (and LOTS of interface design issues) without any pros. Especilly in a game when you have lot's of time to think about your turn and want all the info be analysed. Current MA rules are complex enough to spend several hours making your turn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:43 pm 
Tough Nut

Well,

That would be how I would think. Terrain, ideally, should be more than eye candy. And a big gun firing over or even through a tree or group of trees is one thing. Firing through a mountain should be quite another.

It's obvious that a "Massive" (excuse the pun) amount of time, energy, and effort has already gone into the game. It's quite polished and great fun. And the quick responses from those who developed the game certainly indicate some highly motivated professionals who care about what they do and their customers.

I can't begin to imagine all the complexities of coding and programming and design that went into the game, but firing through mountains? I urge you guys to consider some sort of fix. It's little details like this that can make a game more than the sum of its parts. Of course, I'll still play it, regardless.

best to ya,

madjoseph :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:44 pm 
Tough Nut

Of course,

In thinking about it. For the sake of realism, and I'm nothing if not realistic. :)

If these towers shot off missles instead of some sort of projectile or ray, a missle could certainly go over a mountain. You guys do such lovely animaition, how bout changing the guard towers to missle firing?

just a thought, going back to play now,

madjoseph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:57 pm 
P.L. Marshal

btw it's logical idea..nobody asks how battleships or rocket launchers fire through obstacles because rockets and gun salvos are properly animated showing that they fly ABOVE terrains stuff.
but speaking in general MA is very abstract game - it does not pretend to model real physics and such stuff..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:05 pm 
Tough Nut

Good point Mrakobes,

However, it's not intended, nor advertised to be a "physics" game. It's a "strategy" game. I've played a lot of real time strategy games as well as turn based ones. True, I'm no expert. But we are "pretending" when we play the game, that the little units and the worlds are "real".

Firing through a mountain really strains credability. As much as if a Wizard suddenly appeared and conjured a dragon to lead some lavs. All I'm suggesting then is that some semblence of realism be maintained. Certainly a brief change from a gun to amissle would be the easiest way to do so. It's a minor point to be sure.

Yet, the only way a game like this is gonna get more popularity and more players is by word of mouth, reviews, and the quality of the gaming experience itself. Like everyone else, I'd like to see more players. Not only for when I finally get experienced enough to play on line, but also because I'd like to see a good variety of user made scenarios.

It's a great game, I'd just like to see a few things improved to make it the best game it could possibly be.

seeya,

madjoseph :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:11 pm 
Developer

Yeah... we'll maybe add the ALTERNATIVE fire for the turrets with Rockets, sor that the rockets fly above the mountains....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:47 pm 
Tough Nut

Vic,

That would be EXTREMELY COOL! I know it's a small thing, but such a change on your guys part would impart a more realistic sense to the game. As I've mentioned the animations are excellent. I particularly like the missles firing. The other alternative might be some sort of arcing shell or cannon type weapon, anything that clears the mountains.

again I applaud the game's developers and look forward to seeing such a change implemented in future patches.

best again,

madjoseph :D :D :D :D