Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where am I going wrong???
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:11 pm 
Tough Nut

Hi MA/MAN players,

I started playing a few months ago and I had thought that I was pretty good at the game. I was challenging equal ranked (experience ranking) players and was winning about 80% of my games.

Naturally with the wins I picked up higher ranks quickly, but it seems that somewhere along the way I have missed something. Now that I have what I feel is a decent amount of experience, I'm losing 80% of my games.

Granted I'm challenging more experienced (General, Marshall, some Colonel) players now so I expect to have a lower percentage of wins, but 20% is like a huge kick in the A.

I've tried looking at the replays and I have found some of my errors, but I'm still missing something. I need another perspective on some of my quickest defeats. Someone that can analyze and tell me where I should have played differently.

I'd like to know if anyone would be willing to take a look and let me know.
If you'd be interested, please post a reply.

Once I've got confirmation that at least one player that will take a look, I'll post the games that I got hammered on.

btw: before you mention it, I have attempted a few mentor challenges, but I'm under the impression that the Mentor accounts are more for the inexperienced noobs to show them how to play, not the player that has lost the skills and tactical edge to win.

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:25 pm 
Sea Wolf

Sure, I'll take a look at some games.

Also, try looking at the alternate official rankings and the Glicko rankings, and try challenging people around your level in those instead of in the primary standings. You might be able to find more people your level.

Edit: the alternate official rankings don't seem to go very far down the list, so playing others near your ranking in an alternate ranking system only leaves the Glicko.

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:37 pm 
Sea Wolf

Artanis wrote:
Edit: the alternate official rankings don't seem to go very far down the list, so playing others near your ranking in an alternate ranking system only leaves the Glicko.

They do, but you have to be logged into the MAN page. I'm not sure who qualifies to be shown though... Only about a 1000 players listed when there are well over 2000 total. Maybe only subscribed MAN players?

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:11 am 
Tough Nut

Here's the ones that hit me hardest I'll post from newest to oldest

Attachments:
8339-ANU-Tiger(W)-WhiteHawk(L)-7.rep [26.14 KiB]
Downloaded 1992 times
8335-ANU-Dracovius(W)-WhiteHawk(L)-22.rep [134.7 KiB]
Downloaded 1923 times
7850-NR-WhiteHawk(L)-maelstrom(W)-8.rep [34.62 KiB]
Downloaded 2003 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:13 am 
Tough Nut

a few more that didn't get included

Attachments:
23092-NP-WhiteHawk(L)-Mrakobes(W)-15.rep [106.46 KiB]
Downloaded 1980 times
22897-ANT-WhiteHawk(L)-Rocklizard(W)-9.rep [30.76 KiB]
Downloaded 2032 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:02 am 
Sea Wolf

just for info the 5 opponents in these games are all considered to be in the top group of players, so don't feel bad about losing to them.

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:43 am 
Tough Nut

Enforcer wrote:
just for info the 5 opponents in these games are all considered to be in the top group of players, so don't feel bad about losing to them.

I don't feel bad losing, it's a fact of life in gameplay... Ya win some, ya lose some. What kills me is that I didn't even see defeat coming until it was too late to counter it. Given that these players are some of the best, I figured they would give me the hardest game. If I won, Hallelujah!!! and if I Lost, it would be a learning experience.

That's where I'm falling short, I've watched the replays and I've noticed a few errors on my side, but I'm not noticing them all yet. If I could see or be shown the plays where I hurt my chances more than helped them, I would be most appreciative.

In addition to pointing out where I did a stupid play, I would love to have your opinion on what you would have done instead.

Thanks again for all the feedback

WhiteHawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:30 pm 
Sea Wolf

You have a game against mrakobes on NP there I notice. Check my thread "Quitch's replays" in the Replay forum. The last reply I uploaded there was of me beating him on that map, maybe that will give you some help, especially as it's on the same map with the same person...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:59 pm 
Developer

22897 and 23092
Antarticus.
So your setup seem to be more favourable.

Disclose - ok.

Turn 4 - you've lost that neutral country! - you should have been able to hold longer

Turn 5 - You've set up a GUARD TOWER!!!!!! NEver erver do that again!

Turn 6 - you still think you are winning at another front...it's your mistake. A 2+2$ vs 3+2$ is a 10 turn stalemate. You could have tried to leave this border to lav-only deffence, but it's decided by now :)

NP vs Mrakobes

Setup (and first disclose) - in your favour.

Disclose - too many LAVs in 2$ (4 tanks instead)

Turn 1 - Land transport instead of mortar.

Turn 2 - Guard tower!!!

Turn 3 - Guerills RL!!
Turn 3 - shame on you :) (lost transport)

Turn 3 - wrong disclose at nothern part of west continent (he could have placed GT there) and you should have bought NT to block revenue at that 3$ neutral country.

Turn 3 - Your 3$ is in GREAT trouble

Turn 4 - ok with 3$ - nice move to force him to disclose that 2$, but unit selection is awful - 2 NT with tanks, LAVs instad. LT as needed.

Turn 5 - wrong disclose at south of western continent - FOGET ABOUT THAT NEUTRAL 4$! - block revenue collection from that neutral at an island!

Trun 5 - that dead RL was a result of ignoring basic principle of war - place your units in a line to prevent flanking attacks.

By now you have created lots of problems in the center of nothern continent and at the southern island you could have avoided. Your forces at western continent are too slow.(as well as at the east).

Turn 6 - what are you waiting for at the west??? INVADE! And help you 2$ country against 2$+3$ + lot's of mobile troops! Or better go for nothern continent a.s.a.p.! and ignore neutrals you can't capture fast enough.

Turn 7 - seems like you have too many LAVs - don't be afraid to take losses when you have local advantage - use TAnks - they are faster

Situation - seems like it's equal now, but the trend is bad for you.

DDs won't help you agains NTs - you Amphs+NTs.

Turn 8 - now the situation is in his favour.

Conslusion - several mistakes on turn 1-3 and 2 wrong strategic discloses ruined it for you.

I recommed you to see this replay to get an idea how long you can hold a country. :)
(it has 1 big setup mistake on that southern island)

Attachments:
3539-NP-Pitor(L)-SkyKeeper(W)-15.rep [96.75 KiB]
Downloaded 1976 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:57 pm 
Tough Nut

Sky Keeper:

Thanks for taking the time to watch the replays and for the valuable feedback. I will watch them again tonight and follow your observations to get a better idea of how quickly I turned a favourable situation into a catastrophe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:00 pm 
Sea Wolf

I think I'll watch these too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:25 pm 
Sea Wolf

Once I finish my tourney turns, I'll take a look at the first three and then see if I have the time/energy to do the other two (since SK seems to have handled them for now).

Edit: I've now managed to watch one of them, I'll send you the commentary as a PM (and post it here if you like). I don't know how soon I can get to any others, as I'm headed home from Hell on Ea...uh...my job at summer school/camp today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:43 am 
Tough Nut

Artanis:

Thanks for taking the time to critique game 8339 against Tiger. As always I had missed a few things in the replay that you kindly pointed out. :)

I would say that the growing trend between these games seem to be primarily Unit Selection (or lack there of) and placement of said units. :evil:

I have a better understanding that I need to use transports more often and/or more efficiently to help in mobility. And that they need to be carrying units instead of dead hauling :oops:

In summary, I obviously was not thinking correctly for success. :cry:

I'll fix that. New battle plan. New approach to map overview. Better Disclosures. More appropriate unit selection. And I'm going to pay more attention to detail on both big picture and immediate battle. 8)

Post subject: transports key
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:53 am 
Veteran

the plateau that separates the top level players from the lower, is the transport and transport train.

"...."you do not truly know someone until you fight them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:54 am 
Sea Wolf

No problem, I'm glad I could help :) . When I get the time, I'll review the rest of the games (I'm currently a badly overworked councilor at a horribly-managed summer camp-type-place and get to go home later today (yay!) ).